My eight important safety tips for seniors follow. I would enjoy hearing what others have to say on this topic.
- Avoid using extension cords due to tripping hazards and the risk of fire.
- Area rugs on top of carpets that are not properly installed can bunch up and cause a tripping hazard.
- Small throw rugs without a rubber backing can cause seniors to slip and fall.
- Always use bath mats with a rubber backing or suction cups in tubs.
- Have the hot water checked so it is not above 120 degrees, but not below 110.
- Wear proper shoes when outside walking and let someone know where you are going and when you plan to return.
- Never use small step stools to stand on to reach items that are high above. Use a a stable step ladder.
- Don’t use small electric heaters. They can tip over and cause a fire.
Please share these tips with the seniors you know.